Aug 7, 2018
Kamara Toffolo is a job
search strategist, LinkedIn consultant, and resume writer who
is passionate about helping high-achieving professionals around the
world transition and advance their careers to the next level. She
is a featured and contributing author for many publications
including Business Insider, Forbes Magazine, and Inc.
Magazine and has presented keynote speeches and seminars at
several professional conferences, universities, corporate training,
and workshops. Before working in the career development field, she
has 12 years of experience in the financial services and technology
industries, working with small to mid-sized businesses as well as
Fortune 500 companies.
Kamara joins me today to share tips and strategies on how to
create a standout cover letter, resume, and LinkedIn profile. She
explains the purpose of a cover letter and how it can help you
highlight your personality, accomplishments, and the value you
bring to an organization as well as some of the common mistakes
many young professionals make when crafting their cover letter. She
also explains the difference between a functional resume and a
chronological resume, what job recruiters truly want from your
resume, and tips on how to build a stellar LinkedIn profile.
“It goes back to the know, like, trust factor - someone without
a linked in profile picture immediately misses out on the ability
to establish trust.” - Kamara Toffolo
This Week on Young Money:
- How she helps clients achieve their career goals and
demonstrate their professional values in their cover letters,
resumes, and LinkedIn profiles.
- The importance of finding a balance between being humble and
highlighting your accomplishments and the value you can bring to an
- How building and nurturing relationships have impacted her
- What led to the transition from working in the financial
services industry to the career development space.
- Why she wishes she began to invest in real estate sooner.
- How to identify your transferable skills.
- The importance of seeking advice from other professionals
within your industry.
- The importance of keeping a running document of your
accomplishments and achievements.
- The appropriate length of a resume.
- The importance of being clear on what your target job is before
building your resume.
- Common mistakes to avoid when creating your resume.
- The difference between a functional resume and a chronological
- The purpose of a cover letter.
- Common mistakes to avoid when crafting your cover letter.
- How your profile picture helps you build trust.
- The importance of including the skills you currently have on
your LinkedIn profile instead of the skills you aspire to
- Why LinkedIn recommendations are critical to job
Kamara Toffolo’s Tips for Creating a Stand Out Cover
Letter, Resume, and LinkedIn Profile:
- Start with the pre-resume work. Find the common thread that
connects your skills, experiences, and what you stand for.
- Keep an ongoing record of your accomplishments.
- Be clear on your target job. Do your research.
- Tailor your resume for the job you are applying for.
- Include a headshot (no selfies!), recommendations, and your
current skill sets on your LinkedIn profile.
- Make sure you have a well-written LinkedIn profile
- Take the time to customize your cover letter to reflect the
value you can bring to an organization.
Connect with Kamara Toffolo:
Rate, Share & Inspire Other Young
Thanks for tuning into the Young Money Podcast - the
advice show for young millionaires-in-the-making! If you enjoyed
this week’s episode,
head over to iTunes and leave us a rating and review. Don’t
forget to share your favorite episodes on social media!
Subscribe to the Young Money Podcast on iTunes so you
never miss an episode and reach out to us on Facebook,
Twitter, LinkedIn, our
Company Page, or by visiting our